Data Center Recovery Strategy driven by cost – risk considerations
Creating a Data Center Recovery Strategy – When considering the impact of the loss of a data center many factors need to be considered. This includes recovery time, risk, on-going cost, and management to consider a few.
The options to consider are:
- Hot site a site that has all data, applications and communications links in place and operations – Public (least expensive) or dedicated (most expensive)
- Warm site just data has to be updated
- Mobile site – move in trailers that can be shipped via surface or air transportation
- Cold Site which typically is an empty facility with basic power, communication and office space that typically is not populated
- Reciprocal agreement with another “division” of the same company or a “local” company that has similar equipment
- Cloud – Public or private for data and or applications
The table below is a summation extracted from Janco’s Disaster Recovery Business Continuity Template which lists the advantages and disadvantages of each option for a data center recovery strategy.