Top 10 Best Practices
Top 10 Best practices to secure SmartPhone and iPhones are:
- Implement a formal written BYOD policy that clearly states which devices and applications are supported
- Set up a locking password on each device. Integrate password usage with wipe the phone after x number of invalid tries. At the same time have a way to restore the phone if the phone is wiped.
- Implement a phone locater on all SmartPhones. In the case of the iPhone use the “Find My Phone” application.
- Protect the access point of your network so that only devices that meet your stringent security requirements are allowed access to you network and data.
- Implement anti-virus where possible. In the case of iPhone there is not anti-virus. That means that you email service provider needs to do the scan BEFORE emails are sent to the device.
- Manage authorized applications so the contact and other sensitive data is not extracted from the device by the applications.
- Utilized data encryption on e-mails and enterprise data
- Utilize the cloud as a back up source
- Be wary of applications like QR coder readers. They can direct the user to sites that can take control of the device.
- Monitor access and data usage by device and by user. Have processes in place that actively inform management of any potential ares were the network and data can be compromised.