Top 10 issues for CIOs
The top 10 issues that CIOs need to address are driven by the current economic and political climate.
- Continuing to move forward with new technology with increasingly constrained budgets
- Continue to allocate sufficient resources to stay current with the social and portable digital revolution
- Manage the mounting pressure on the enterprises IT infrastructure
- Improve the service levels of the IT function and its applications
- Improve IT technologies performance with business operations as the driving force
- Be a transformation agent with the application of technologies that improve the operational and financial performance of the enterprise
- Continue to stay ahead of increasingly complex compliance requirements
- Implement improved business oriented metrics for the technologies used by the company
- Motivate staff to focus on innovation as a priority
- In concert with executive management be the prime mover in the use and application of new technologies
The CIOs who will succeed will have a common set of skills.
- CIOs both visionary and pragmatic – It is not enough to plan for innovation, the CIO needs to be perceptive and realistic. As an insightful manager, a CIO promotes broad technology agenda to help the business profit from leading-edge initiatives. At the same time as a pragmatist, a CIO deals with the realities of the business. The pragmatist also facilitates the productivity of current IT solutions. The CIO focuses on minimizing cost and maximizing results, in addition the CIO helps to increase the customer and product/service base of the enterprise.
- CIOs focus on ROI improvement of IT – CIOs will find new ways to help customers and the organization profit from how data is used while focusing on managing budgets and processes to eliminate or reduce costs.
- CIOs inspire the enterprise and expand the business impact of IT – CIOs will have proven expertise in both business and technical facets of their role. CIOs will interact with the enterprise and its executive team as enterprise leaders and drive new business initiatives and shifts jointly the other members of the executive team.