Top 10 IT Professional Staff Issues for CIO
As budgeting starts for 2015, the top 10 IT professional staff issues that CIOs and HR departments are concerned about are being addressed.
The issues are all associated with the impacts of the length of the downturn and what it has done to both the IT department in general and IT professionals in particular. In a lengthy survey conducted by Janco of CIOs and HR executives, we found that over two thirds of them were concerned about retaining staff.
These top 10 items all will have an impact on the CIO and IT organization in general. Specifically:
- Retain existing staff – As more opportunities present themselves IT professionals have more options to leave.
- Improve employee morale – Many organizations have been pushed to their limits and employee morale is at an all time low
- Add new technical skills to staff – This is driven with new projects and new hires as well as specific training for existing staff
- Provide competitive compensation – Salaries for all employees have been held down for several years as cost cutting and outsourcing have been the focus.
- Maintain and improve existing productivity and service levels – With the impending changes the IT organization needs to remain focused on its mission. Change can cause a loss of focus
- Provide competitive benefits – General benefits and perks for all employees have been constrained in the last few years and employees have borne more of the cost (i.e. health insurance deductible and employee share of costs have gone up).
- Reduce employee burn-out – Many IT professionals have be working well in excess of 45 to 50 hours a week for several quarters.
- Manage organization culture – With the coming recovery, IT organizations will have a new focus and direction. This will result in organizational changes and impact the existing culture and environment.
- Provide viable career path – Employee upward mobility is a strong motivator and having good career paths is necessary to achieve this
- Utilize social networking in the recruiting process – There is a new world out there and social media is now one of the components in the recruiting process.