10 step security implementation
10 step security implementation process:
- Make security an executive directive – The driver for security needs to be at the CEO and or the Board of Directors
- Implement clear security guidelines – Have a published security manual with specific policies, procedures, and statements of what will occur if someone does not follow the rules.
- Provide specifics for security compliance – Do not use statements like “in general” without having specific example of what the individual needs to do.
- Enforce that everyone follows the rules – If ID badges are require then everyone including the CIO and CEO need to use one.
- Provide formal training program – All new employees should go thru this program as soon as they are hired and all existing employees need to have “at least” an annual review of the security guidelines and rules
- Communicate Security – On an on-going basis communicate what security best practices all employees and associates need to follow.
- Monitor security compliance – Validate that security rules and guidelines are being followed and make individuals and managers accountable for breaches.
- Establish security compliance metrics – Identify metrics that are meaningful to validate that compliance is occurring. Have metrics which show violations to the security guidelines as well as the total breadth and depth of the security process
- Provide security compliance feedback – At least month provide a general report that show the status of the security program.
- Audit security with a third party
– On an annual basis have a third party audit the security program and validate:
- The program is in place and functional
- The program is being followed
- All of the right things are included
Security Manual Template and Compliance Tools
- Security Manual Template (Policies and Procedures) (ISO Compliant)
- Security Manual Template and Audit Program
- Security Manual Template and Disaster Recovery Business Continuity Template Bundle
- Security Manual Template, Disaster Recovery Business Continuity Template, and Safety Program Bundle
- Security Manual Template and Disaster Recovery Business Continuity Template Audit Bundle
- Security Management Job Description Bundle – 17 full security job descriptions
- USA Freedom Act Security Bundle
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Audit Program
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard PCI-DSS Compliance Kit
- Security Audit Program
- Compliance with HIPAA Standards
- Compliance with FIPS 199
- Threat and Vulnerability Assessment
- Threat Risk Assessment Extended Service