Top 10 Technology Travel Tips – International
Top 10 Technology Travel Tips – When people traveling, especially internationally, not only is technology at risk but also sensitive personal and work information. Below are 10 tips taken from Janco’s Travel, Electronic, and Off-Site Meeting Policy.
- If it’s not necessary, don’t travel with a computer or tablet.
- Whenever possible, arrange to use loaner laptops and handheld devices while traveling.
- If you are bringing a laptop with you, make sure you have the proper plug adapter.
- Install a host-based firewall, and configure it to deny all inbound connections.
- Disable file, printer sharing, and Bluetooth. Apply full disk encryption, picking a long, complex password
- Update all software immediately before travel.
- Always clear out browser cache before you leave.
- Backup your computer
- If you are bringing private data, not on a computer, copy the data onto an encrypted USB memory device
Change the password for your accounts email, Gmail, Facebook, etc.
- Utilize complex passwords – Assume the workstation or medium will be lost or stolen.
- Memorize the password, or keep it in a secure location on your person.
- Password protect the login, and require the password after screen-saver.
- NEVER set browser to remember passwords.