A critical CIO skill – hiring the right employees
Hiring right employees is one of the most critical factors in the success of a CIO. The right people will have the skills, aptitudes and attitudes to help mobilize and evolve systems and technology solutions necessary to compete in today’s ever changing environment.t. With the right people, CIOs can move ahead and have a team that supports the enterprise’s and CIO’s success.
CIOs in today’s tough economic conditions have to know the answer to the questions of what they can do to ensure they hire the right people? A first step Before CIOs start the recruiting process, they need to a good handle on:
- Understanding the job requirements and expectations from the employee
- Understanding the working style of the managers and staff where the position will be
Understanding the company’s culture and communicate that to the candidates
- Have detail job descriptions in place for each position to be recruited
- Conducting structured interviews that get to the true fit of the candidates with the enterprise, and
- Managing the process to minimize your enterprise’s legal exposures
- Remembering that a large percentage of those hired will only be with the company for fewer than 7 year – some will leave voluntarily others will be terminated.
After CIOS have completed planning, screened the applicants and interviewed job candidates, the decision to hire a person ultimately rests on your intuitive sense of whether this is the right person for the job.
Nothing can prepare any hiring manager for that decision except their own experience supplemented with hard facts and discussions with the other interviewers.
If many individuals are interviewed for many position, interviewers will learn the signs that indicate a potential hire is right. If interviews and hiring is infrequent, hiring managers will have to depend on less-intuitive methods and other people to help you.
If the company believes in high quality employees, you should be really enthusiastic about the person you want to hire, not just lukewarm.
Read on… IT Hiring Kit